Thursday, November 11, 2010

Okay, okay, I give up. I'll become a...gasp...blogger!

I'm a late bloomer.  Whenever anything new comes along I'm usually the last one at the party.  So it is with blogging.  For one thing, I have no idea if I'm always going to have something interesting to say.  Like now.  Who cares if I'm always reluctant to try something new, especially if it has to do with electronics?  My husband had to pry my hands from my beloved word processor ten years ago.  I'd written five books on it and it was so comfortable to work on.  Then, he had to drag me kicking and screaming away from my desktop and force me to use a laptop.  To be honest, I still miss the desktop.  The only advantage to having a laptop in my opinion is that you can take it with you easier than you can a desktop.  And I still don't know how to take a picture with my cell phone.  Therefore what can you expect from an electronics challenged nerd like me when it comes to blogging?  Just some down-home conversation about what I'm going through in my journey as a writer.  Take my present dilemma, for example: I'm known for writing romances but I've got about four other stories running around in my head that are definitely NOT romances.   This is how the process works for me.  Characters will invade my thoughts and start telling their stories.  And in order for me to get them out of my head, I have to write their stories.  Once the stories are done, they pack up and leave.  Thank God.  However, here is my problem: I don't know if anyone is going to want to buy these stories from a romance writer since I don't have much experience writing anything except romances.  I've done a couple of romances that had paranormal elements and there was that story in Creepin' that was a departure for me.  But, mostly, I'm a romance writer.  Should I spend months completing a book that may never see the light of day?  Take a chance?  Or stick with the tried and true?  One part of me says go for it!  Another, the one that needs to get paid, says put the other book on the back burner.   Of course, no one ever did anything great without taking a risk.  I suppose I just made up my mind.  I'll write the book that's definitely NOT a romance, send it to my very patient agent, and see what comes of it.  Who knows, maybe someone WILL be interested in publishing it.  We've got to follow our dreams, don't we?  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment